Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Road to Transylvania 2014 pt. 2

Today is our second post from Paul Stevens, a long-time Yes To Life supporter who is taking part in our cycle adventure to Transylvania in September 2014 and hoping to raise lots of money on the way!

Well it’s been a while since my last writings and training has been going well. Well, it’s been going! To be fair I am still overweight and I really don’t think that will ever change!!!

I am cycling to work at least twice a week, still wishing the weather would actually brighten up. A beautiful sunny day is the best type of weather to cycle in and home.


I have however, got a bit of a system going at last. Cycling to and from work is one part and I covered that in my last blog. I am now also spinning again (albeit only once a week) at my local gym, as well as a more sociable ride on a Sunday morning with a friend of mine who is recuperating after a knee operation. Another friend joins us when he has the chance and his wife doesn’t have chores for him to do!

The great thing about a Sunday ride is there are always lots of other cyclists about. Many are just out for the exercise, but some are clearly trying to break the land speed record! I try to keep up, in vain, especially when the inclines begin. Another excellent thing about this kind of ride is you are less likely to be restricted for time on a Sunday giving you plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.

As I have said before, our charity rides are not about who comes first, second or last but about making the journey together.  We do about 20 miles on our sociable Sundays out, it may sound a lot but you’ll be done in no time! Make sure you plan a circular route, that way you will never be too far from home. Add on little bits every two or three weeks and gradually build up the distance. You’ll be amazed how far you will travel before you know it. (Again, never forget a pump, spare inner tube, two tyre levers and a box spanner… Just in case!)

If you have an i-Phone, download ‘’Strava’’ an ingenious cycling app and it will enable you not only to map your rides, but measure them too. Then you can impress your friends by uploading to Facebook.

Now we are into summer proper, I have a problem on the horizon. My holiday. The best time of the year for me mentally and emotionally, but the worst for my legs and waistline. But never fear… I always choose a venue with or near a gym! This will undoubtedly include an exercise bike and with an hour every day or two I can keep ‘training fit’ and feel less guilty about eating a little more at breakfast!  I go while my girlfriend is getting ready for dinner, a sensible use of time indeed!

That’s all for now. Another blog next time to let you know how I’m getting on. Now you can see how easy it is, surely you want to have a go too? Don’t you?

Read part one of Paul's journey here.

Please sponsor Paul on his cycle ride for Yes to Life here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.