Thursday 8 September 2016

Combining approaches for lung cancer

Today's blog is from Suzanne*,66, from Cornwall who writes about her experiences putting together a integrative plan following her diagnosis with Lung Cancer in 2012.

When I was first told I had cancer my heart sunk like a stone. This information was given to me by GP who also told me I could cough, haemorrhage and die (!) I met a friend and we went straight to the pub for a glass of wine, followed by shock and tears.

I had no symptoms prior to coughing up blood, but soon developed excess sputum and coughing, although no breathlessness. Lung cancer was confirmed with a CT scan, MRI scan and bronchoscopy, all arranged at two weekly intervals and I was finally diagnosed in June 2012.

The consultant thought the tumour could be removed with surgery; I was thrilled and saw this as a cure. I couldn’t wait for the operation which happened in August 2012 but unfortunately the thoracotomy failed as I had cancerous nodules.

At this point I have to say I resisted orthodox treatments until December 2014. I pursued all the complementary I could and believed what I did helped enormously until my last scan, which showed that the cancer had spread from my lung to my spine. I then felt I should try chemotherapy alongside the complementary therapies I was doing.

I was, and still am, well looked after whilst continuing with chemotherapy – scans, blood tests, consultations, and I am happy to have support from my team to continue with my complementary care.

I have been on a huge journey trying different approaches including the Budwig diet, Alkaline diet, Journey work, meditation, Reiki, Japanese acupuncture, coffee enemas, green juices, cutting out sugar, dairy, processed food and the nightshade family, detox baths, supplements and HBOT.

This journey has often featured conflicting information and at points has been confusing and depressing. I am now settled with guidance from a nutritionist on the Ketogenic diet and am taking recommended supplements including Vitamin C. I try to exercise when I’m able to including going to yoga twice a week.

Running alongside my maintenance chemotherapy and Denosumab injections, I am on a trial of four generic drugs from the Care Oncology Clinic in Harley Street. 

I first heard about Yes to Life when I was having IV Vitamin C at the Vision of Hope Clinic. I spoke to someone very friendly and helpful on the Yes to Life helpline, which comforted me as it was the beginning of my journey and I felt there was help out there after all and support for someone who wanted to take a different route.

Yes to Life offered information on diet and exercise and funded a consultation with Patricia Peat of Cancer Options. I found this very helpful and she offered good advice on what supplements could benefit me.

Yes to Life have continued to support me by sending me a monthly supply of Liposomal Vitamin C, which helps me support my immune system. This is of great help as it means I am able to still afford other therapies and approaches.

I think Yes to Life is an amazing charity, which helps to give people choice. The support I have had, not only financial, has been informative and friendly and has been a strong crutch to me. I see Yes to Life as an organisation who I can ask for support from like a second family.

With awareness rising and demand for our services at an all-time high we need your backing more than ever.  Donate today and help us support more people like Suzanne*

(*name has been changed)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.